Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 27, 2011

Future Butterfly

Our spicebush has to be the most watched shrub in the neighborhood. Folded over leaves - especially the ones that are very thick - and bite marks on other leaves can only mean one thing: we're expecting! Last week, I noticed something that looked like a bird dropping. It turned out to be a tiny larvae. And I've been keeping close watch on a big leaf that seems to be thick as a sausage. I can't be outside all the time, of course, so preparation is crucial. I kept a macro lens on the camera and had the tripod prepared at the right height. Yesterday, I finally spotted and photographed this gorgeous caterpillar:

Caterpillars are never in the open very long. They eat and then retreat under their leaf to avoid predators. Being prepared certainly helped me capture the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos, Doris! I never heard of Spice bush. Neat.

    ReplyDelete