Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 7, 2010

Birding Friday

This morning my husband and I finally spotted the first ruby-throated hummingbird at our feeder. Usually they arrive here around May 1 and I was getting worried they may not show up.
On a whim I decided to participate in a guided bird walk today at Sewickley Heights park. I was hoping to get some tips on where to find birds. Highlights of our (very long) walk were: Blackburnian warbler, yellow-rumped warbler, hooded warbler, Kentucky warbler, American redstart, red-eyed vireo, scarlet tanager, indigo bunting, bluebird, and a Cooper's hawk. Not bad for a couple of hours of birding. I also learned that the best way to see warblers is to search for them in sun-lit tall trees. All in all it was an enjoyable outing and I took away some great advice about the habitats of different species.

No comments:

Post a Comment