Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 22, 2010

Watch Out, Cardinals!


I often say that watching birds is much more entertaining than television. Today is no exception. This morning I spotted a bird on the ground and grabbed my binoculars. It was a Cooper's Hawk! I had never seen one on the ground before. It flew on the trunk of a felled shrub nearby and looked around. Then it flew into a pear tree that edges our yard. Against my better judgement I grabbed my camera and stepped outside the front door. I knew they are pretty shy, but thought that I could approach our side porch to take a shot. When it spotted me, however, it flew off--much to the relief of the cardinal that was perched on the other side of the tree. The other day the hawk had better luck, since we found a large pile of feathers on the ground. Apparently, the hawk had snatched a mourning dove, which happens quite often. Hawks need to eat, too, but I would be sad if it caught a pretty singer such as a cardinal.
According to a book I bought recently, Cooper's hawks feed mostly on birds and small mammals, hunting by stealth. They usually move from perch to perch in dense cover, then using a burst of speed to overtake prey. Their habitat are mature forests, open woodlands, and wood edges. Since there is a wooded ravine behind our house there is plenty of habitat to choose from.
Years ago I was more successful with my camera when I photographed an immature Cooper's hawk at our bird bath. Yes, it really was just taking a drink. Back then, our garage door was already open and I used it as a cover. Many photographers also shoot from their cars, but I have never tried that. Perhaps I should, once the weather gets a bit warmer. The best advice, though, is to be ready all the time because you never know what unexpected visitors will pass through your yard.

1 comment:

  1. Nice picture from before. Bird watching is better than TV!

    ReplyDelete