Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 11, 2009

A Trip to Raccoon Creek

For the first time this year, we headed to Raccoon Creek State Park yesterday. The weather was less than stellar - it was cool and very windy. I therefore left my camera at home and brought my binoculars instead. With such winds I would have been hard-pressed to find a branch that was still long enough to take a decent photo.
Because we're also interested in wildflowers, our first stop involved trilliums and other spring bloomers. On the wetland trail, we saw a Catbird, several warblers (one was probably a yellow warbler, the others were harder to identify), two Baltimore Orioles, countless robins, and a couple of bluebirds.
At home, I had some rarer sightings lately: a Northern Flicker and a White-crowned Sparrow. The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are still around, too, and I've taken lots of photos of them. To provide some natural food for the birds this summer, we started another wildflower garden. May seems to be the busiest month of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment