Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Turkeys Away


My favorite episode on WKRP in Cincinnati was Turkeys Away. The joke is that the station manager drops turkeys out of an airplane thinking that they fly. So, when I first saw a huge bird fly across the street in front of my car, I thought, "It could have been a turkey, but since turkeys don't fly, what could it have been?" I then learned that wild turkeys do indeed fly...
On Monday, I spotted several turkeys in our backyard, scratching at the seeds that dropped from our bird feeders. I knew that they spook easily. I grabbed my camera and stalked down our driveway to the edge of the house, not an easy feat on a gravel driveway. To my surprise, there were over a dozen turkeys in our and the neighbors' yards. I fired off a couple shots before they spotted me and flew away toward the wooded ravine behind our house. All winter long, we did not see a sign of them but now that the days are getting longer they will probably show up more often. Years ago, I even saw a turkey landing on top of our feeder pole. More dangerous was the time when I observed three turkeys crossing the street toward the school that abuts our housing plan. Where they after the food the children dropped on the ground or did they want to attend turkey school?

1 comment:

  1. We get huge flocks of turkeys on the hill behind our house. Yes, they fly and usually they fly LOW. I've been able to see incredible detail of their toe nails as they just clear my car!

    ReplyDelete